This is home to thousands of Sevillians while the Feria lasts. A meeting point for friends and family; a place where people eat and drink, talk, laugh, sing and dance.
At the very beginning of the Feria de Abril, merchants conducted their business operations in small reserved areas covered by tarpaulins in order to provide some shade.
In 1849, the local government set up a caseta charged with monitoring public order and safety inside the facilities. In 1850, several shelters sold turrones, food, drinks and candies. The number of these shelters increased gradually as the trade business started to diminish up to the present day caseta.
In 1919, thanks to a design by Gustavo Bacarisas, the casetas gained some sort of uniformity, but it is not until 1983 that the Ordenanza Reguladora del Montaje y Funcionamiento de la Feria de Abril (Bye-law for the Assembly and Proper Functioning of the Feria de Abril) managed to achieve significant improvement in the ornamentation of the casetas.
The caseta is measured by modules and the frame is made of metal tubes covered by green-white and red-white striped tarpaulin.
Today, 1049 casetas fill the Feria enclosure: 498 from organizations, 2 from local entities, 6 districts, 11 for services. According to their size, there are 837 casetas of one module, 134 of two modules, 58 of three, 10 of four and 5 with five or more modules. Most of them are private but many of them, the casetas públicas, offer free access for everyone.