UNIVERSITY of Seville (Old tobacco factory)
This building, which has been the seat of the University, originally housed the Royal Tobacco Factory. A large rectangular building, measuring 250 metres by 180, only the Escorial is larger.This building, which has been the seat of the University since the second half of the 20th century, originally housed the Royal Tobacco Factory. Its history is intrinsically linked to the legendary cigarette makers, an essential group in the city's social and romantic history. Seville, portrayed in many famous operas such as Don Giovanni, The Marriage of Figaro, The Barber of Seville, and Fidelio, was the birthplace of Carmen, the cigarette maker who became one of the best known fictitious figures in the world. During the 18th century, the spirit of renovation promoted by the first members of the Bourbon dynasty led to the construction of many industrial buildings. Examples include the Royal Timber Warehouse (1735), the Artillery Factory (1778-82), the reforms carried out in the Royal Mint (1785-1790), and the Tobacco Factory (1728-1771), which replaced the one that had been in operation in the Plaza de San Pedro since 1636.The construction of the tobacco factory was started by Ignacio Sala and continued by Diego Bordick, but the most important contribution came from Dutch architect Sebastián Van der Borcht. The factory, which employed approximately 3,000 cigarette makers and produced more than three quarters of the cigarettes consumed in Europe, housed for a long period of time the most important industry in the city. A large rectangular building, measuring 250 metres by 180, only the Escorial is larger. Despite being conceived for industrial purposes, it was designed to have a palatial appearance. The noble façade is presided over by a baroque doorway whose reliefs depict scenes alluding to the Discovery of America and tobacco.